Monday 24 November 2014

A trip to the ATM

Keypad

I wanted to withdraw some money from the bank.  A quick google search told me all sorts of things about using ATMs here in Brazil.  This varied from Brazilian banks not talking to European bank networks, to a daily limit of R$300 (circa £75.00), to the risk of mugging, being tailed etc, etc.  It makes perfect sense to take care when using an ATM regardless of the country, (I once had money snatched from me on a busy road during the middle of the afternoon in the UK). Also ATMs here appear to only work during certain times of the day (usually between 06:00 and 22:00), presumably to reduce the risk of mugging.

Further searches on the internet initially suggested that I may be limited as to where I could use my Visa card in Brazil, one site implied that I could use it in an HSBC teller machine, (the nearest such machine being some 7km away), however, there was a Santander bank and tellers just a few hundred metres away.  One would expect to be able to use their teller machines?

Sure enough, a search for "Use UK Visa card in Santander, Brazil", returned a page from Santander's Brazil website, in English, confirming that I could indeed use their ATMs.

So, now having relatively reliable information that I would be able to use my card at a local teller machine, the next question being will the machine detect the bank of origin and offer me instructions in English, the prospect of not being offered English and somehow messing up the transaction made me a little apprehensive of the pending process.

The Santander bank near me, is located within a Commercial complex consisting of a number of stores, a bakery, restaurant and offices.  The ATMS were located inside the branch only and not outside as is common in the UK.

So, I attempted to enter the bank, that proved more complex than I had ever imagined, the bank had revolving doors, another client was exiting as I attempted to enter and she left as I entered, the doors rotated part way and then stopped, locked. Unable to move the doors forward, I managed to retreat back outside and thought that I would try again. This time I was able to progress a little further, but once again, the doors revolving door stopped and I was unable to progress further, this time (and perhaps during the previous attempt, but I did not notice) was rather urgent/aggressive message being played sounded through a PA speaker located somewhere in the ceiling of the doors.

There was a security guard just beyond the doors, I stood locked in the doors, probably looking a combination of confused and mildly annoyed and promptly gave the guard what can probably be only described as gallic shrug... The guard approached and spoke in Portuguese, once again, that familiar phrase "eu não falo português" was uttered.  The guard then gestured to my ruck sack on my shoulder, which contained little more than water, keys, a book and a can of antiperspirant (kind of required around here in 31c weather conditions), he wanted to see the contents of my ruck sack, presumably to ensure that I was not about to hold the bank up.  After a quick cursory glance through my temporary glass holding cell, the contents of my ruck sack and I were deemed to be not a threat to the bank and entry was granted.

Finally arriving at the ATM, everything went smoothly, I was prompted for instructions in English and was able to take out the requested funds without glitch (more than R$300, but do not know if there was an upper limit, if there is, one would presume it is approximately the same as the UK limit in local currency).

And so, another lesson in Brazillian culture was learnt, with I am sure, many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment