Monday 17 November 2014

Welcome to Brazil


A journey to Brazil

Having fallen in love with a lady from Brazil, discussions led to the conclusion that in the short term, the best option would be for me to relocate from the United Kingdom to Brazil.

This would inevitably present various problems along the way. The first and foremost challenge that I would face is that I could not speak more than a few words of Portuguese.

Having chosen a date to travel from the United Kingdom and after considerable deliberation over flight schedules and carriers, the selected carrier involved a short flight from London Heathrow to Paris (CDG), with a minimal layover (circa 1hr 15min), then an onward flight to Sao Paulo of around 11hrs.

So a coach ticket was purchased from my home town to Heathrow, in an attempt to keep costs to a minimum.

To further complicate matters and to make the journey that little more arduous, a last minute change in plans due to personal reasons meant that I had to start my journey in Cardiff.

So, finally here is the journey;  On a cool November Tuesday afternoon in South Wales, a lift to a regional train station to catch a train to Cardiff, then a further train to Bristol, followed by a taxi ride to Bristol coach station.  This then left me with around 2 hours to kill near the coach station.  Question: what does one do when faced with the possibility of not knowing where or when the next real ale would be available (more on ales to follow), Answer: decamp to a friendly hostelry and enjoy a pint (or two) of Old Speckled Hen (other ales are available, of course) and a sandwich.

Early evening saw me board a delayed coach to Heathrow and arrived at Heathrow Terminal 4 shortly after 21:00.

My flight to CDG was not due to leave until 06:40 the following morning. I had not booked any accommodation as my ticket implied that I should be at the airport around 3 hours before the flight was due to depart.  Although this would be quite a time to kill, I thought that while being landside at the airport, there would still be enough to keep my occupied until I was able to check in - wrong!

Those of you who have travelled from T4, will probably know it is the terminal with the least air movements and passenger numbers.  Consequently, in the main concourse has very little to keep you occupied, the ubiquitous Costa Coffee and a Wetherspoons pub. After a snack at the pub, which then promptly closed at 23:00, all that was left was Costa Coffee. Which offered limited seating and was a popular hub for the various contractors and maintenance staff working through the night.

There is only so much coffee one can take on board and to make the evening even more uncomfortable, it seems that the air conditioning at T4 is shut down at night, which made for a very warm evening indeed.

As the night progressed, at least I was able to pass some time by chatting on line with the love of my life (also knowing that come the morning, communication was to be near impossible due to flights).  Eventually, even my girlfriend needed to retire for the night. Finally check in opened around 1 hour 40 minutes prior to departure.

This left very little time airside, bar another Costa, very little was open.  I had been asked to pick some products up by my girlfriend, however, the one store that I was able to get to advised that they did sell the product, but only at T2, 3, and 5.  What had T1 and T4 done to offend the supplier/retailer, I do not know.

So boarding the flight to CDG was painless enough with luggage checked until my final destination.  Prior to the journey, I had read some mixed experiences about changing for onward flights from CDG, but I have to say, it all went without a hitch.  It would have been even easier, had I had been a little more awake.  I had to pass through security at CDG, which was made a little more interesting as I completely failed to remember to pull my laptop out of the hand baggage, or take my cellphone out of my trouser pocket, or metal belt buckle, and shoes.  So after passing through the metal detector machine three times, I was patted down and then allowed to pass, this left me with around 20 mintues to arrive at the boarding gate.

Finally, boarding the flight to Sao Paulo International (GRU), taking my seat, I managed to sleep a little while we waited for some final baggage to be loaded.  The flight was fairly turbulent, but on the whole a good one. Despite a little delay at departure, a tail wind meant I arrived at (GRU) nearly an hour earlier than expected.

My concerns about immigration control entering Brazil were completely unfounded and I was granted a tourist visa with the maximum initial stay without any question or hesitation.

Finally coming through the arrivals gate, I was tired, sweaty and so looking forward to seeing my girlfriend for the first time in three months.  As I passed the line of expecting friends and relatives, chauffeurs holding name plaques, my eyes were peeled for my girlfriend, so much so that I completely failed to notice the name plaque that she held aloft with the pet name she had for me.

After a taxi ride to my new home town of Sao Jose dos Campos, I was finally able to start to relax and unwind.  Having gone some 36 hours with a little more than a few hours sleep, I finally felt that I was home...

No comments:

Post a Comment